This workshop had 4 objectives:
- Highlight the issue of the right to education of children and young people deprived of their liberty
- Bring about better coordination between all stakeholders involved in this sector.
- Examine the practical contingencies to be addressed in view of promoting quality basic education to all minors deprived of their liberty in Africa, and outline which actors could take part in the conception and implementation of the proposed actions.
- Examine how to contribute to coordinating and enhancing the relationship between African organisations and their governments to progressively improve access to basic education in detention environments, taking stock of relevant experiences existing on other continents.
The report presents the conclusions and recommendations of the workshop as well as practical resolutions.
Education of Minors Deprived of Liberty in Africa, Forum for a Concerted Action of African Civil Society Organisations: Conclusions and Strategy for Action
These conclusions and strategy for action present:
- Preconditions for education of minors in prisons, including legal framework and regulations
- Educational programmes for minors: objectives, content and implementation
- Common Strategy for an efficient action in favour of education of minors in prisons in Africa